Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Homemade Pizza Crust

Last Week I worked on finding a Homemade Pizza Crust Recipe.
Yes I admit I was still using Jiffy Box Pizza Crust.

Since I started making my own bread this
seemed kinda silly to me. I mean
really what ingredients could be in that box
that I can't put together at home... for much cheaper!!

I think I found a winner....
and it uses NO YEAST!!!


(This is the 1/2 that was left)

Background.... I always used 2 boxes of Jiffy mix to make
2 very large pizzas. One is on a 15x12 pan and the other is on
an even larger pan. I had to really stretch the dough to
make it cover both these pans. Needless to say that it
was very thin crust which we love BUT... The kids could
inhale this pizza, I mean like eat 9-10 square pieces each.

I remember just a few weeks ago, when everything got eaten,
thinking to myself I'm gonna have to break down and make more pizza.

Well I think I've solved that problem (for awhile) with a much more
filling crust. We had over 1/2 a pizza left and everyone was FULL!!!

YIPEE!!! 2 pizza's will do for a little longer.

And the best part is I cut the cost in half
1 box of Jiffy is .59 cents and the recipe I made was
only around .25 cents per crust.
Cheaper and more FILLING -- Double WIN!!


Sorry for being so wordy today...

Here's the recipe I used.
Very simple and NO YEAST!!!
makes 1 large crust...

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Mix and spread.
I usually mix and then let it sit in a warm spot
for around 10 minutes. It just spreads a little easier!

Repeat for 2nd pizza.


I took it a step further and made my own jiffy mixes!!

This just simply means I mixed up the dry ingred.
for 1 pizza and put it in a container or bag.

When I'm ready to make a pizza I just pull out 1 bag
and add oil and water!!

9 comments:

Genesa said...

Looks good! I may have to try that this weekend! Never hurts to try a new recipe!

Hattie said...

I've been wanting to try and make homemade pizza and was wondering what kind of pizza sauce do you use?

Megan said...

I'm stuck on Chef Boyardee right now!! We love it!

I used to use store brand it was good too! The other day we used my SIL's homemade (she canned it) and it was really good too.

I'm thinking about canning it next year!

So really we use about anything!
HTH!!

The Gaertegang Homestead said...

Mmmm...thanks for the recipe...Nice to know it's that's easy! I with ya on the box mix thus far....But I am always up to try something new...especially when it's that's easy!

Anonymous said...

How long and at what temp do you bake this? I saved it and am trying to make it right now, but don't know those two key things, lol

Anonymous said...

I'm with the last person, how long and at what temp? I usually do pizza at 410/415, but I'm not sure with this. Thanks!

Megan said...

Sorry guys... I've made pizza for so long I didn't think to add that...

I usually do 400 degrees and I do it until it looks melted on top and just a slight bit of browning around the crust. Usually around 15-20 minutes.

If you're unsure you should be able to take it out and lift up a corner on the crust to see if it looks like it's browning at all!

Depends somewhat on the oven so just keep an eye on it!

HTH!!!

Anonymous said...

How long do you bake and at what temp?

Megan said...

I bake my pizzas around 410* for about 12-15 minutes. Just keep eye on it, when the crust is a touch brown and cheese is melted it's ready!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin