Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Finally a Garden Update!!

Wondering where I've been?!?!?!?

Half the time I've been in the garden!
The other half!
Havin' FUN in the POOL with Hubby and the Kids!!
(I suppose I should add another half in the kitchen doing my baking...
wait is that possible?! can someone please clone me??)


And I'M LOVIN' EVERY MOMENT!!

Disclaimer.... Please look past the weeds. I decided NOT
to keep a weed free garden cuz.. well.. I need to sleep
and I like my family!!!
A garden this size (for me) is IMPOSSIBLE to keep
totally clean (unless that's all I do... EVER!!!)

BUT I'll take the weeds cuz I want LOTS of produce!!!!


Clear to the left where you see trenches, I just planted
another 2 1/4 rows of potatoes (today)!
This time I tried the Kennebec variety!
I planted another 10 pounds

Next to that is Sugar beets-- A post for another day!!
Then I have almost 3 rows of corn.
For some reason part of the corn came up and the rest didn't.
I replanted it and you can see it but it's still small.
Inbetween the corn rows I have pumpkins, watermelon,
and muskmelon!

The plants with the white sticks are tomatoes.
We drilled holes in pvc pipe to tie the tomatoes to. It's working
really well so far. I think I have 16 Roma plants
Next to those I have brocolli, peppers, cherry tomatoes, beans, and zucchini
Then I have a whole row of bush beans
By the hoses I have a row of carrots.

My cabbage is on the left and then you see
my Yukon Gold potatoes. 3 1/2 rows of them!!!
We love potatoes!
We just had a major spout of potato bugs last weekend
and it killed me but I used Seven.
Anyone have a better idea??
BTW - this was not a small outbreak that you can pick
by hand, I'm talking a MAJOR plants covered with little
tiny bugs EVERYWHERE..... It all happened in about 7 hours.
Seriously I left the house in the morning and saw NO bugs and when
I came home 7 hours later they were everywhere and 1 plant
already had Major damage.....

Strawberries I just planted 2 months ago.
They are spreading really nicely!

One of my prize items -- Cucumbers..
Last I counted they had 44 flowers on them.
Um yea from 4 plants!
They must like alot of RAIN...
We've been getting TONS of rain here in the Midwest.

Here is our biggest one. I can almost taste him...
But I'll have to wait a few more days!!


On the left is our leaf lettuce!
LOVE IT!
It's going crazy. So far I've gotten 6 huge bowls of lettuce
from them. If you didn't plant leaf lettuce look into it next year!
My $1.xx seeds have produced a TON of yummy eating!
You just break off the outer leaves and it just keeps coming!

You already saw my carrots and beans from the other side.

On the right is my 2 zucchini plants. They've gotten really big
and I should get my first one next week!!
This year I'm NOT peeling them. Last year I peeled and then
shredded them for bread but I've since learned that like much produce
the nutrients are in the peeling. SO DON'T peel!!


I had to throw in this picture of my sugar pumpkins.
I used to work in a "sweet shoppe" and in the fall they
always had iced pumpkin cookies. I'm hoping I can come close
to duplicating them this fall. They were AWESOME!!

So How's your garden doing???
If you want leave your link in the comments and I'll come visit!

Have a great week!

8 comments:

shunee said...

Wow!! I wish I had a garden :( I live in the city and my space has not much space for it. I simply LOVE pumkins for the fall and wish I could grow them. I'm so happy you can enjoy the fruits of having an out door space:) Congrats!!

Bovee Family said...

In response to your potato bug problem. We were quite diligent in check our plants every evening and sometimes in the morning. On the underside of the leaves you will find orange patches of egg sacks. We would squoosh those and yes, if we missed some, we would find little bugs all over that we had to kill. It's something the children can do even. I think those bugs are behind us now, since we haven't seen any for awhile. This might happen with your viney plants a little later on. Check the leaves for egg sacks or you'll have a demolition in those plants too. It looks beautiful! Hard work pays off for sure!

Susan said...

What an awesome garden! I didn't think it looked weedy though. I had potato bugs all over my potato plants also and I had to use sevin on them. I hated to but there were so many of them and too many to pick off by hand. It must be the weather this year. I am so glad you are enjoying the summer!

The Gaertegang Homestead said...

So where were those weeds you thought we might see? It looks so fantastic you should be very proud of your wonderful garden! I am so happy you got an update with pictures and all.

Megan said...

Thanks Christi for the potato bug info. I've never looked to find the egg sacks. That will be helpful although I have 96 plants and just planted 74 more. So that might take ALOT of time!!!!

Thanks for thinking it doesn't look weedy girls. I think I did some great camera work!!! There's a couple potato rows that look HORRIBLE although Malachi weeded one row yesterday and now it looks fabulous! I just hired him for $2. per row! I'm getting a great deal if he weeds them that good!

Sarah said...

Good job! I can almost taste our produce now! YUM!

Marsha Cooper said...

our garden is only 12x12 ft....I really hope some day to have a much much larger one like yours and pretty much depend on it for food. I think I can get there with the drive and motivation.
We just picked what I think is the last of the snow peas...it was our 5th picking and now the vines are pretty well dead.

Alisa of day2dayfinds said...

Wonderful! I wish I had the time for a big garden like yours. Mine is doing well so far. Make sure you share your pumpkin cookie recipe when the time comes. I too planted pumpkins and I love about anything pumpkin. I enjoy your blog very much. Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin