Tuesday, February 23, 2010

2 Recipes to use Zucchini

I have tons of Zucchini from last summer still in my freezer.
Anyone else in this boat??

I shredded it with hopes to make zucchini bread.
I've done that a lot but Halee and I are the
only ones who enjoy it.

So I decided to find a few other recipes I could hide
zucchini in that everyone would enjoy!

Here's two that I found. (more to come)!

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
original recipe here

3 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 cup veg. oil (or 1/2 oil and 1/2 applesauce)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions
Preheat oven to 350*. Lightly grease or line two 12 cup muffin pans.
In large bowl beat eggs. Beat in sugar and oil. Add cocoa,
vanilla, and zucchini. Stir well.
Stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
Mix until just moist.

Pour batter into prepared muffin pans, filling 2/3 full.
Bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes.
Makes aprox. 24 muffins.

I like to keep a few out and freeze the rest!
Halee eats these for breakfast ALOT!!


Chocolate Zucchini Cookies

original recipe here

1/2 cup butter (shortening)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups zucchini

Directions
Preheat oven to 350*
In bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar
until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. gradually stir into
the creamed mixture. Fold in the grated zucchini.

Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Allow cookies to cool 5 minutes on baking sheet before
removing to a wire rack.

****
*******
I loved both of these recipes, especially the cookies!!
You couldn't tell at all that there was zucchini in the muffins,
but you could see it occasionally in the cookies.
This meant that hubby would eat the muffins but not the
cookies. My kids couldn't tell since they just wolf everything
down anyway!!! I'm assuming you could see it in the cookies because
are only baked for 8 minutes and the muffins bake for 20 minutes.

Let me know if you can think of another reason,
I'd love to not be able to see it in cookies too!

If you have an awesome zucchini recipe, leave it
or the link in the comments! I'd love to try it out!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds good! Yes, I would say since the cookies are at less of a baking time, that is why they are still being seen. The only way to totally hide them would to be put them in your blender (or food processor), like I think we talked about... Just for a little while, to make them chopped, not liquefied!

May have to try these. We have zucchini left too!

Sonshine said...

Going to have to try the chocolate version of muffins. :)

I have a muffin recipe that I got from my Mom. It is more a cinnamon muffin with zucchini in it. :)

Here is the link.... http://glimpseofsonshine.blogspot.com/2007/10/moms-zucchini-bread.html

AudreyO said...

I don't think I've ever made cookies with zucchini. We use zucchini in veggie lasagna and in a wonderful casserole dish.

Staci @ Designing and Motherhood said...

I have been thinking for two weeks I need to thaw and bake. So I am right there with you....I need motivation to do this. I love it when I eat them. Here's one to try

So to brighten my spirits I made some yummy different zucchini bread. Pineapple Zucchini bread with raisins and almonds. Here's the recipe.

PINEAPPLE ZUCCHINI BREAD

3 eggs

2 c. sugar

1 c. oil (I used 3/4 cup)

2 tbsp. vanilla

2 c. zucchini (grated and drained)

3 c. flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 c. raisins

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

1 c. chopped nuts

1 c. crushed pineapple, drained

Beat eggs until fluffy. Add sugar, vanilla, oil, zucchini, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir in pineapple, raisins, nuts and mix well.

Bake in 2 well greased 9x5x4 inch loaf pans or 4 smaller loaf pans for 1 hour at 325 F. Don't overfill the small loaf pans!

TIP: I often shred and freeze zucchini in two cup portions so that when thawed I have the correct zucchini proportions(without draining) The bread also freezes well.

A picture on this link
http://designingandmotherhood.blogspot.com/2009/10/we-are-on-mission-to-save-crops-from.html

Megan said...

Thanks Sonshine, I love cinnamon bread so I'm sure I'll love the cinnamon muffins!!

Staci, that recipe sounds delicious and I just so happen to have some pineapple I should use up!!

thanks for taking the time to leave the link and recipe!!!


Audrey - I'll have to look into some casseroles I could just throw it in, I'm sure if it cooks long enough it would just disappear!

Sarah, I need to try it in the blender to make it smaller, I always forget this is possible!!!

You all are awesome, thanks!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin