Monday, May 11, 2009

Cost of Meat???


In looking at our menu this week, it might seem I packed it with meat.
**
It might look like I spend a lot on meat. But really I don't... meat for this menu is only around $9.00 . Normally it would be more like $6.- $7. because I would have some kind of taco meal or breakfast meal in place of the ribs, but even with the ribs it doesn't seem that expensive and hubby loves it!!
**
Here are my meat costs...

Ribs -- 2# @1.59/lb.= $3.00
**
Boneless Skinless Chicken -- 1# @ $1.99/lb = $2.00
**
Whole Chicken -- 3# @ $1.09/lb= $3.00 (plenty left over to use in another meal plus lunch sandwiches)
**
Hamburger for Spaghetti -- 1/4 - 1/3 lb. = .50 cents (could go meatless imo)
**
Ham Steaks -- from last summer still in my freezer -- .50 cents
------------------------------------
Aprox. $9.00

***
You might wonder how 1 pound of chicken feeds 6 of us. At my local butcher I can get 2 big thick pieces of boneless skinless chicken for $2. (1#). I then take my fillet knife and fillet them in half. This makes 4 good size pieces.
(Since they're not so fat it also takes the marinade much better!)

Hubby and I each have 1 and then I can still split the other 2 pieces between my 4 kids. This might change soon as their getting older but I feel a 1/4 lb. of meat is a good serving size for adults and 1/8 lb. is a good size for kids. Granted my 2yr. old eats less and my 10yr old eats a little more.

If they're still hungry they can have another potato, roll, veggies, or applesauce. If they go away from the table hungry it's definitely their fault!!
**
I know I could spend less on meat and go with meatless meals (which I do sometimes), but my hubby is kind of a meat and potatoes kind of guy. So I try to work in several of those each week!
**
So what's your thoughts... How much per week do you spend on meat to feed your family? Be sure to tell us how many you feed too!

4 comments:

Kelly L said...

I constantly am finding great ideas on your site. Thank you.

Kelly

MamabearMills said...

my husband is salivating at that picture! thanks a lot! joking!

Together We Save said...

You did really well. I have a hard time saving on meat. I have a family of 5 so I do run in and check for discounted meat a couple of time a week. Since I work beside Kroger it is easy to run in.

Economique said...

I stock up on meat when there is a good sale and then I don't have to buy it again until there is a new sale. We don't like to eat a lot of meat, so I mostly use meat as an add-in and not a main dish. It lasts a lot longer that way anyway.

You can mix dry oats with your ground beef to make it stretch further. I read that on a forum, but I haven't tried it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin