Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Nixing the Home school Fits....

If you home school I'm sure you deal
with bad attitudes... At least I do!

Maybe even with a child who just won't do the work or even try without letting you know it's the last thing on earth they want to be doing.
***
This year my 1st grader is not a schooling kind of boy. He would rather be digging in the dirt, playing with "guys", playing legos, or practically ANYTHING else besides doing school. I don't blame him he's only 6. The pathetic side of it is right now I'm only requiring 3 subjects out of him. Reading, Writing, and Math. On good days he can sit down and do his work in less than an hour.
On bad days...... that's another story!!!!
***
Here's what I've found is working for us.
When he starts with his whining and I can tell he's not trying. I simply walk away calmly and without fighting. Then I just go about my business with the other kids or what ever I have going on.

I make it clear to him that I will gladly teach him and help him but only if he wants to learn. I let him know that it is FINE with me if he sits there ALL DAY. Just let me know when you're ready to learn and do your work. Otherwise you can just sit in the chair ALL DAY. So far within 10 minutes or so he calls me back and is ready to do the work. A couple of times I've had to leave a 2nd time. But when I do this he has a better ready to learn attitude and I don't have to battle with him at all.
***
I'm sure there are kids out there that this approach wouldn't work for but so far it's working for us. It also keeps my attitude under control. No yelling or getting mad. I just don't have time to teach a kid that doesn't want taught. Hopefully this will continue to work and maybe even start to prevent all fits. We'll see!!!
***
If your kids go to public school,
I'm sure you could use this approach for home work too, if needed.
***
So what works for you when those nasty fits surface???

Can't wait to read your ideas when I
return from vacation on Friday!
See you then!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Boys!! It is so hard for them to just sit and learn something. Great idea Megan! The last thing they want to have to do is just sit....they might as well just do your work!

Sounds like you're doing a great job with him. My problem is the older they get, the harder it is for me to deal with their griping calmly! When my 6th grader is complaining...I get a little more uptight, then with my 1st grader, but It's a good reminder to me to work on staying calm when they are protesting about school work! Hope you are having a great vacation!

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan,
I can't believe you posted this and I got it in my email today! Trust me, it is not just Home schooled kids, it's kids with homework too!

Last night I had the worst time with my son. I need to learn another method b/c I did yell and it is so energy draining and emotional. I also put him in the corner 2x and it was really time consuming. 2nd grade sends home way too much homework for a 7 year old (about an 1 1/2 hrs) but regardless he has to do it right?

Thank you so much. I will try this approach tomorrow night. I think child birth order has something to do with our instinctive approaches for discipline. I'm the oldest of 5so I'm bossy haha, ughh :) something to work on/correct in me..that's always fun. Thanks for the ideas! You Rock
Star

Tracy said...

I was so frustrated with my 7 year old yesterday that I told him to just go on and play and come back after he had worked off some energy. I was trying so hard not to get stressed. Anyway, he just looked at me in shock and continued to sit there. He began his work. However, I think this approach will only work one time. The shock will wear off (haha).

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin