Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Recipe-- Bread Bowls

Home-Style Bread Bowls


I know you're shocked right!?!?
I have another bread recipe to pass along!

These were such a HUGE hit at our house.
The kids couldn't believe they each got their own
bread bowl that holds soup, then they get to eat the bowl.
Seriously tho, you should have seen their faces!!

We will NO DOUBT be having these again soon!
and yes of course, they are actually very easy and
not very time consuming to make. (the only way I do things!)


Strange to take this picture, right!!
Well the recipe I used called for "custard cups" huh?
yea I don't have any, let alone 8 of them!

So I brainstormed what I had and found an oven safe
coffee cup (psst It worked like a charm, so don't
go buy "custard cups" to make these!!)



Ingredients needed...
(only 5 very Frugal ingredients needed!)
1 cup warm water (110*-120*- I just used hot tap water)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cup bread flour
2 teaspoons yeast (I used 1 pkt)
**
for tops
1 egg yolk
1 Tablespoon water
(not sure I'll do the egg topping next time, what's is for??)
Edit - Do not omit the egg! It's used to "waterproof" the bowl!
I knew there must be a reason for it, thanks Fawn, Carrie, and Steph!


Instructions...
1. In bowl, combine water, sugar, yeast and salt (I like to whisk together)

2. Add flour. Stir and then knead to make smooth, slightly sticky dough. Cover and let rest about 10 minutes.

3. Grease outsides of eight 6 oz. custard cups (oven safe) or use oven safe coffee mugs. Place upside down on ungreased cookie sheet.

4. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Pat or roll each piece into 5-6 inch circle, on lightly floured surface. Put dough over the mug and very slightly pull down on all sides to stretch.

5. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
I thought this was way hard to cover (used sarah wrap)
so next time I'll likely leave uncovered to rise.

6. Pre-heat oven to 375*. Mix egg yolk and water and gently brush over the tops of the bowls.




7. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until lightly brown and done.

8. Remove bread from mugs as soon as they come out.
Be careful they are HOT! Mine slid right off so it was easy.
Cool on wire rack. Best if eaten slightly warm.


Pour in the soup
and enjoy!!


We only used 6 of them for supper so I ate the other
2 warmed up for lunch the next 2 days.
They were just as good warmed up!

I'm pretty sure you could freeze them too!
To check out the original recipe
I tweaked go here.

8 comments:

The Gaertegang Homestead said...

GREAT idea! Sounds liek a must try!! Thanks for posting!!!

Sarah said...

Yum! Bring on the bread... I LOVE bread.

Fawn said...

The egg coating makes the bread bowl not absorb the liquid from the soup as easily. It sort of *water proofs* the bread :) I wouldn't omit it......

Megan said...

Thanks Fawn, that makes sense!

carrie said...

yes the egg was helps it be soak-proof but next time add a little garlic powder or you favorite spice to the bowls. sprinkle on the egg wash! not only will it tatse yummy but the combo of the garlic and the bread baking will smell fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I made 24 of these for our family last November - BIG HIT! This is the recipe I used and they did not freeze very well for some reason. The egg coating is important though - I forgot it on one batch and they got too soggy to quickly. cu

Megan said...

I updated the post to let everyone know NOT to omit the egg!!

Thanks Fawn, Carrie, and Steph! It seems I'm always learning something new!

Unknown said...

We tried them!
They were easy and yummy!
I didn't grease the cups, but used butter, and I found out the hard way that I need to follow your recipe to a T!
Thanks for the yummy idea, for in these chili winter months!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin